Wednesday 7 March 2012

Success Doesn't Come Overnight ; Keys to Success

Let me share my personal experience on why I think success doesn’t come overnight and some of the key factors to success.

I will be turning 30 this year. During my younger days, like most teenagers and young adults, we have dreams of making quick bucks or fulfilling our childhood dreams to be a lawyer, doctor, policeman, etc. What was yours? Mine was to be a footballer. Just because I grew up watching Manchester United and idolizing who else, David Beckham. In my Primary School days, I used to play football regularly under the block with my neighborhood friends. As I grew older, I got the honor to represent my schools and play for semi-professional clubs and also to represent the Army when I was serving my National Service. I got the opportunity in my late teens to train and hopefully play for a professional club. I could not take the almost 7 days per week training, the fitness training, etc. It takes much more than just scoring goals and taking the glory or for goalkeepers like me, making a spectacular save.

What I am driving at on the above? To be successful in what you want in life. One has got to have most of the below qualities. Trust me, with these qualities, you are on your road to success.

1/ Passion – You got to be passionate in what you want in life. There’s nothing wrong with those who work hard just for money. This shows you have the passion to make money.

2/ Commitment – By sharing my experience above, one can tell you need the commitment to train, learn and to gain the experience and skills needed to what you want to achieve in life.

3/ Focus – You need to be able to focus on what you really want in life. If you are young, it’s ok to explore options and to find out what you really want and focus to excel on it. I used to make the mistake of wanting to do everything and end up being the jack of all trades but master of none.

4/ Support – You need to mix around and have the right people by your side during these times. People like your family, close friends, colleagues, associates, contacts. Mixing with the right and positive people will also help you to have the right thinking and move on the right track.

5/ God – If you have a religious belief, it would be the best. For me, I always believe in God and that he always make all things possible. When in a difficult situation, just pray. Because when there’s no one around to listen, you know God will always do so.

Today, I can gladly say that Thank God for these 5 key factors, I am on the road to success. I am doing what I am passionate about – that is Business. I have a good work life balance and am glad to be still given the opportunity to still play semi-pro football.

No comments:

Post a Comment